OUR CLUB’S MISSION
The purpose of the Lake Wales Breakfast Rotary Club
is to be a service club that focuses
on caring for the youth of our community while
participating in Rotary’s global efforts.
Our Work in Honduras
Lake Wales Breakfast Rotary has a heart for international mission work, and Honduras is at the center of that effort. Since 2013 our club has visited Honduras many times with club members and other local Rotary club members going each trip. We've partnered with other groups to enhance the overall effort to improve the quality of life for the poorest of the poor in this developing country. Some of the partners we’ve enjoyed working with are the Rotary Club of Choloma, Honduras; the Rotary Club of El Progresso, Honduras; Water Mission International; Chispa Project; Enactus; and Compelled by Christ. We envision a long-term commitment with these and other partners in the future.
The Choloma Rotary and the El Progresso Rotary Clubs have served as the international connection for our projects.
- In the village of Monterrey, we laid a cement foundation in a covered pavilion so children could snack after school in a clean, dry area.
- In Choloma we donated computers to a bi-lingual middle/high school, improved the amount of water held in reserve for their daily needs, and upgraded an area behind the school to make it more functional.
- In La Danta, a remote village outside Choloma, we installed a septic field and working bathrooms in a schoolhouse, where we also painted the building and installed ceiling fans.
- Also in La Danta, we arranged for the construction of a 6” well and 15,000 gallon holding tank to provide clean drinking water for over 200 people who never in their lives had immediate access to clean water.
- For a vocational school in El Progresso we donated tools and sewing machines for their use in teaching students to become self-sufficient.
- For a health agency in El Progresso we provided funding to enhance an existing building and the storage of medicine to assist in their struggle with Covid-19.
Water Mission International is a non-profit organization that specializes in building safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing nations and disaster areas. The group is guided by love, excellence, and integrity to share clean, safe water and God’s love. They do this by empowering communities to encourage ownership and sustainability of their own safe water solutions.
Chispa Project is a non-profit organization whose goal in Honduras is to create school libraries and spark a passion for learning that will grow and be nurtured through a community driven approach. Sara Burkes, the founder of Chispa, began in the summer of 2012 by providing books to a tiny mountain school in El Sauce, Opatoro, Honduras. Over the last several years solely through volunteer efforts, approximately 30,000 books have been brought to more than 60 different schools.
Enactus is a college club that shares and motivates other high school and college youth with the message of Free Enterprise. The Enactus group we've gone with is from Southeastern University in Lakeland and led by a club member Tim Welch, a Vice President at Southeastern. Their enthusiasm is welcome and infectious.
Compelled by Christ (CBC) has done incredible work with adolescent girls who have been abused, neglected, and/or orphaned, most of whom are victims of human trafficking. Bonnie and Keith Barker formed the organization. CBC has provided shelter, security, and compassion for girls who have known none.